Mechanical Engineering Interview Questions and Answers
Mechanical Engineering Interview Questions and Answers: In this article, we are going to provide some of the important and frequently asked Mechanical Engineering Interview Questions and Answers.
Q. List out the various types of Fits and explain it?
A. There are three types of fits and they are:
1. clearance Fit
2. Interference Fit
3. Transition Fit
- Clearance Fit: This category is characterized by the occurrence of a clearance between two mating parts. The variation between the Minimum size of the hole and the maximum size of the shift is known as Minimum clearance. and the other one which variates the difference between the maximum size of the hole and the minimum size of the shaft.
- Interference Fit: In this mating parts are predefined so that interference between them always occurs.
- Transition Fit: In this Fit, its mating parts sized limited to allow clearance or interference.
Q. Tell me the Factors which affects the factor of safety selection:
A. There are various points must be taken into consideration and they are:
- Applied Load reliability
- Localized ( limit of Stresses)
- loss of property and life in case of failures.
- properties of the material which is used for the machine.
- Extent to which the assumptions can be solved
- The intrinsic properties over the service time period.
Q. What is meant by Heat Treatment?
A. Heat Treatment is nothing but an operation which was performed in heating / Cooling of a Metal / Alloy. To change the size of the grain and also provides better resistance to heat, corrosion etc.
Mainly this heat treatment is generally used in Normalizing, Annealing, Hardening, Case hardening etc.
Q. List out some rules while designing castings?
A. Fillets must be avoided for frequent use.
- Avoid the abrupt changes.
- Casting must be very simple because simplicity is the only key.
- Ribs and webs used for stiffening.
- Curved shapes used to develop the stress handling.
Q. Assumptions which was made in the simple theory of bending?
A. The Assumptions are:
- The beam is a homogeneous material which is uniform density, strength and also having isotropic.
- The beam is straight and unstressed while initial stage.
- The beam layer can contract longitudinally and expand laterally.
- It was very large while compared with a cross-sectional dimension of the beam.
Q. What type of materials used for manufacturing the shafts?
A. HIgh index of strength
- Machinability with high level.
- Very low notch sensitivity factor.
- The material should have to wear resistant properties along with good heat treatment.
- The shafts are created by the hot rolling method which was finally the shaft is completed using grinding processes.
Q. Explain briefly about different types of springs?
A. springs are classified into various types, they are:
- Helical springs: In this spring they are another two types: Compression helical spring and Tension helical spring.
- conical and volute springs
- Torsion Springs
- Leaf springs
- Disc springs
- Special purpose springs.
Q. Define Hess law?
A. The energy transfer is simply independent of the way being followed. the product of the whole process is the same amount of energy will be absorbed.
mechanical engineering interview questions and answers pdf free download pdf